Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How to Sell Your Products Without a Website

Hi all,

Recently one of my MoneyHarvest members emailed me and said...

"Bill, I'm new to all this Internet marketing stuff, but I want to get started in the business as I have my own ebook I want to promote. Problem is I don't have a website and I don't know the first thing about building websites or web hosting . What do you suggest?"

Well here's what I said...

"Martin (real name), you don't need a website to promote your ebook, but you do need somewhere to put your sales pitch. So, set up a blog. It's free and it's very easy to promote a blog. I would recommend either or both, Wordpress and Blogger"

He then gets back to me later that same day and says...

"Okay thanks for that. But, what about advertising? How and where do I advertise my blog? And how would I be able to take payments for my book sales without a website?"

So here's what I told him...

"If you're on a low budget, you can get some free traffic by writing and submitting some interesting articles to the article directories. Ezine Articles and Article City for example. You can put out a free press release and you could get more free traffic by joining some social networking sites and spreading the word about your book. Also, if you're able to create a video you can post it on YouTube"

I mentioned how important it was when using these free advertising avenues, NOT to make your Press release or article look or sound like an ad.

I then went on to tell him about Google's pay per click, placing paid ads in newsletters etc, etc.

So now Martin was all ready to start his marketing campaign.

Next, I told him how to accept payments without a website. He didn't have a PayPal account so that was the first thing he needed to set up so he could take payments by credit card.

I suggested he opened a free email account just for the purpose of selling his book. It didn't really matter whether it was a Yahoo account or a Hotmail account or any other free account, but what it must have is an auto reply or a vacation response feature.

I told him to write a message for the auto reply saying something like...

"Thank you for your order. Your custom is very much appreciated. You will receive a PayPal money request within the next 24 hours. As soon as payment receipt has been confirmed I will personally email you a copy of my book" etc, etc.

Now he needed to put a message with this email address on his blog. I said the message should read something like...

"To order a copy of my book, please send an email to booktitle@yahoo.com
and put ORDER in the subject line. Please note I process all orders personally so please be patient. You will receive a money request from PayPal, my payment processor within 24 hours of receiving your order".

So... he would have to manually process his orders but it wasn't going to cost him anything to set it all up. Of course he could have used a free website and put a PayPal button on it but he didn't have the experience, so this was a better way to start.

Now... All you MoneyHarvest members who are just starting out... there is no excuse. Get your business started and you'll begin to learn everything else as you go along. That's how everyone does it.

Till next time.

Regards,
Bill

www.knight-writer.co.uk
www.anglox.com
www.money-harvest.com

1 comment:

Jun Loayza said...

Great tips. I'll definitely check out your book.

Selling a product online without a website can definitely be done on eBay. The trick is finding reliable distributors to drop ship your products.

I like your blog. If you would like to be featured on our email list to our subscribers, let me know.

- Jun